My most recent submission took me about sixteen hours to complete. Since I was new to practically everything, I had to go through many agonizing steps to finish it:
1. Sketch some.
3. Sketch some more.
4. Edit again.
5. Edit something I missed/
6. Sketch again.
7. Scan at my GF's house at the other end of town.
8. Search for paint programs to use.
9. Figure out how to use said program. (GIMP, by the way.)
11. Color fill.
12. Vector some more.
13. Delete everything because layers were incorrect.
14. Vector again.
15. Color fill.
17. More color fill.
18. Touch up little bit's and pieces.
19. Finish exporting.
20. Submit to dA.
Eeyup. It was totally worth it though, no joke.